Sunday, August 2, 2009

Ham and Cheese Pleazzzze!

I can't for the life of me understand what the fuck has become of the “Cookout”. Growing up, going to a cook out meant you had to get up extra early to pack up the car with coolers, ice, soda's (Whiterock), watermelon and so fourth. Nowadays you go to a cookout and think you made a wrong turn on to Thanksgiving street. Since when has lasagna, collard greens, mac and cheese, string beans and all that other bullshit that belongs on your Thanksgiving table become a part of the bar-b-q? That shit just pisses me off. A bunch food that should be hot tuning into a bunch of cold slop sitting at the picnic table. Where the fuck are the sandwiches? What ever happened to getting to a picnic early, playing some kind of ball game, cards, and taking a nap on that old ass blanket that is in the back of the closet just waiting to be remembered every summer. Shit got so bad at the “Cookout” that the dress code done change. Parents use to come to the cookout looking bugged out wearing caps, over sized tee shirts, shorts, and old sneakers. Now shit, please (I was also guilty of this, but I woke up) we come with spanking new sneakers, a new outfit, high heels and all kinds of fly shit. What the fuck is the point? I also remember my mother calling around to see who had a box. Now please we have to have a DJ. It is stupid and it takes away from the fun. Cookout are for the older adults to relax, talk shit and listen to some oldies while the children play. Men are suppose to work hard on the grill, drink a beer. Women are suppose to sit around exchanging banter and just enjoying each others company.
I just want to take the right turn on good ole “Cookout” street. I just love that feeling, and I miss it. Next time you plan a cookout, remember you don't have to go overboard. Just have enough of the necessary grub and just have fun.

ZS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.